What is DictionaryForMIDs?
DictionaryForMIDs is a flexible dictionary that can be set up with dictionaries for all languages around the world. For example it is possible to set up (= configure) DictionaryForMIDs with an English to Spanish dictionary as well as for an English to Chinese dictionary.
Beyond language dictionaries, it is possible to set up any other dictionary for DictionaryForMIDs, for example a ZIP-dictionary, a phone dictionary, a dictionary of medical terms, etc.
DictionaryForMIDs is an open source project and free software (the GPL license applies). Please note that the dictionaries that are set up for DictionaryForMIDs may have different copyrights. All dictionaries that can be downloaded from this site are free to use.
To set up a dictionary, look at the section Setting up a New Dictionary.
End users just download a DictionaryForMIDs package with the desired
and install it on their cell phone or PDA or PC. Several
dictionaries are provided in the
section dictionaries for download.
Highlights of DictionaryForMIDs include:
- Plenty of functions and numerous customization options.
- Sophisticated search features that also allow to find phrases and use of various wildcard characters.
- Language-specific search features, that allow to find words with similar writing or pronounciation.
- Very short search time for translation thanks to elaborated index structures.
- Localization of the user interface to many languages.
- Bitmap font support for devices that do not provide the fonts for a language. E.g. Japanese letters are displayed on non-Japanese cell phone / PDA.
- Runs on a huge variety of cell phones and PDAs and also on PCs.
- Open source project and as such free SW.
DictionaryForMIDs implementations exist for
- Android: all those popular Android devices from Samsung, LG, SonyEricsson, Dell, Motorola, GTC, Google and plenty more
- Java ME: most 'classical' devices from Nokia, Samsungs, RIM (Blackberry), LG, SonyEricsson, Motorola and plenty more
- Java SE: PCs with Microsoft Windows, Linux, Solaris, Mac OS and more
- htmlApp: any cell phone, PC or other device with an HTML5 web browser
For more details about this, see here.
Sample 'screenshot' [this screenshot is from 2005 when the DictionaryForMIDs project was started !]:
This screenshot is from the English-Spanish mobile dictionary.