Several versions on the market, under the language names.

Started by jn0101, 11. June 2010, 17:03:15

Previous topic - Next topic

jn0101

Pls see http://dictionarymid.sourceforge.net/forum/index.php?topic=215.msg1271#msg1271

Achim, I'd like to distribute this dictionary on the Android market, under the name... "Danish Esperanto dictionary".
I know I can do that without asking (its GPL :-) but I'll ask anyway, of course.

What I imagine is that I just publish your app on the market as "Danish Esperanto dictionary" and then makes it download that dict to the SD card. I know, I could ask people to search for DfM, install, download Danish Esperanto dictionary to SD card, open it from the app etc, but thats gonna make a lot of people stop in vain.

It also makes sense for people searching the market for 'Esperanto' to see the 'dictionary' and install it.
That its not really the 'dictionary' that they install but a program that downloads a dictionary and shows it, probably doesent matter for most.

In general, Achim, I can see others are practicing publishing the same app several times with different language data. This makes sense from a user searching for dictionary apps for a specific language. So, I suggest you either mention all the languages in the app description, or consider poblishing several 'apps'.

Jacob

axin

Hi Jacob,

Quote from: jn0101 on 11. June 2010, 17:03:15
Pls see http://dictionarymid.sourceforge.net/forum/index.php?topic=215.msg1271#msg1271

Achim, I'd like to distribute this dictionary on the Android market, under the name... "Danish Esperanto dictionary".

Actually I was thinking of something similar in the beginning, too: Creating apk's for the Market that already include a specific dictionary. The problem with that was, that performance was rather bad (because the dictionary files somehow first have to be extracted internally). Your idea solves the performance problem, as we download the (up-to-date) dictionary on first start to sdcard. Simple but cunning idea :)
Do you want to start working on this? If not, I'll probably have some time over the weekend... And of course I'll publish almost every DfM apk on the Market you ask me to ;)

So, I suggest you either mention all the languages in the app description, or consider poblishing several 'apps'.

I tried mentioning all languages in the description, but I couldn't find a decent description that is smaller than 325 characters. If you find one, I'm happy to change it! (On the non-Google Market there is much more space for description, see here).

-Achim

jn0101

Quote from: axin on 11. June 2010, 17:47:09
Hi Jacob,

Actually I was thinking of something similar in the beginning, too: Creating apk's for the Market that already include a specific dictionary. The problem with that was, that performance was rather bad (because the dictionary files somehow first have to be extracted internally). Your idea solves the performance problem, as we download the (up-to-date) dictionary on first start to sdcard. Simple but cunning idea :)
Do you want to start working on this? If not, I'll probably have some time over the weekend... And of course I'll publish almost every DfM apk on the Market you ask me to ;)

Great.

I'd be very happy if you did it and published it.
Please do a fresh build as the encryption stuff has been updated a week ago.

The app description would be in Danish and Esperanto. Neither of those languages are suppported in the Market. Danish apps usually have Danish text, but the text is marked as English text (as this is the only way to get Danish text descriptions visible in Denmark).

I'll write the text and send you on monday and give you the exact URL for the dictionary to initially download. I'll make sure its 325 characters.

Jacob

jn0101

Hi Achim,

I'd like to publish a seperate version of DfM myself. For several reasons it wont work well if I ask you to do it in your name:

1) The lernu! dictionaries are barely used. This is becaurse there is no app in the Android Market that pops up when searching for 'Esperanto' or 'lernu'.
I'd like to make a dedicated version of DfM with the Lernu! logo and presentation text in Esperanto and where I appear as the 'developer to contact' in Android Market, so I will get feedback directly for these specific dictionaries. I'll clearly state that the app is your work and link to your DfM version, of course.

2) I am even thinking of making a paid version for 2-3 euro, to get compensated for (and thereby continuing to do) development/maintenance of the Lernu! dictionaries.
Again, I'll clearly state that you and Gert are the authors of the engine and that the 'tip' will go to me to maintain the Lernu! dictionaries and fix stuff that pops up.

I suggest you also make a 'DfM donation version' which is the same app but lets happy users easily donate you some money for your work.

3) The closed source 'Danish Esperanto' dict should be easily usable. This means that an app called 'Dansk-Esperanto ordbog' should be on the market, which should automatically download the  closed source 'Danish Esperanto' dict on the first run.

Let me hear what you think.

Yours,
Jacob

axin

Hi Jacob,

Quote from: jn0101 on 23. October 2010, 23:45:21
I'd like to publish a seperate version of DfM myself. For several reasons it wont work well if I ask you to do it in your name:

thanks for the heads-up. From my side you are welcome to do that (as long as you comply with GPL of course, publish the source, etc.), just one remark: I feel it would be great to keep a common code base as far as possible, so that we benefit from joint efforts in fixing bugs and adding new features.

1) The lernu! dictionaries are barely used. This is becaurse there is no app in the Android Market that pops up when searching for 'Esperanto' or 'lernu'.
I'd like to make a dedicated version of DfM with the Lernu! logo and presentation text in Esperanto and where I appear as the 'developer to contact' in Android Market, so I will get feedback directly for these specific dictionaries. I'll clearly state that the app is your work and link to your DfM version, of course.

Independent of your plans, how about using a shared e-mail address for the current DfM on the Market? This way you and all interested developers can provide support and get feedback? Maybe there is even a feature on sourceforge to coordinate that...

2) I am even thinking of making a paid version for 2-3 euro, to get compensated for (and thereby continuing to do) development/maintenance of the Lernu! dictionaries.
Again, I'll clearly state that you and Gert are the authors of the engine and that the 'tip' will go to me to maintain the Lernu! dictionaries and fix stuff that pops up.

I suggest you also make a 'DfM donation version' which is the same app but lets happy users easily donate you some money for your work.

I haven't done so until now as it wasn't necessary for me, DfM is a hobby, and I couldn't think of a fair way to compensate all involved parties.

3) The closed source 'Danish Esperanto' dict should be easily usable. This means that an app called 'Dansk-Esperanto ordbog' should be on the market, which should automatically download the  closed source 'Danish Esperanto' dict on the first run.

As mentioned earlier, I was working on this auto-installation of a default dictionary. It feels quite stable now, the only thing I'm not really sure of is how to deal with the situation of multiple installed DfM-apps. I uploaded a beta version with the da-eo dictionary set as default here:
http://dictionarymid.sourceforge.net/android/DfM_da-eo-0.13b.apk

Keep us posted,
Achim

jn0101

Quote from: axin on 28. October 2010, 13:06:40
Hi Jacob,

thanks for the heads-up. From my side you are welcome to do that (as long as you comply with GPL of course, publish the source, etc.), just one remark: I feel it would be great to keep a common code base as far as possible, so that we benefit from joint efforts in fixing bugs and adding new features.

Hey, I'm really happy to hear that!
Of course, any changes I will make will be incorporated into DfM. I have no intention of making a fork.

Independent of your plans, how about using a shared e-mail address for the current DfM on the Market? This way you and all interested developers can provide support and get feedback? Maybe there is even a feature on sourceforge to coordinate that...

The feedback I would recieve would probably be in Esperanto or Danish.

BTW if you really want feedback, then consider making a 'contact the developer' menu item. I have something like:

void kontaktUdvikler(String emne, String txt) {
      Intent emailIntent = new Intent(android.content.Intent.ACTION_SEND);
      emailIntent.setType("plain/text");
      emailIntent.putExtra(android.content.Intent.EXTRA_EMAIL, new String[]{"jacob.nordfalk@gmail.com"});
      emailIntent.putExtra(android.content.Intent.EXTRA_SUBJECT, emne);
      emailIntent.putExtra(android.content.Intent.EXTRA_TEXT, txt);
      aktivitet.startActivity(Intent.createChooser(emailIntent, "Send mail..."));
  }

void reportException(Exception e) {
        kontaktUdvikler("Fejl i Teoriprøveapp", "Skriv evt her der skete:\n\n\n---\n"
            +"\nModel: "+Build.MODEL
            +"\n"+Build.PRODUCT
            +"\nAndroid v"+Build.VERSION.RELEASE
            +"\nsdk: r"+Build.VERSION.SDK_INT
            +"\nFejlspor;\n"+Log.getStackTraceString(e));
  }

As mentioned earlier, I was working on this auto-installation of a default dictionary. It feels quite stable now, the only thing I'm not really sure of is how to deal with the situation of multiple installed DfM-apps. I uploaded a beta version with the da-eo dictionary set as default here:
http://dictionarymid.sourceforge.net/android/DfM_da-eo-0.13b.apk

I tried it. Looks good!!!
Its a little confusing that all the other dicts appear in the background, before the popup question appears (well I know, its a beta).

Jacob