I have some desires for the Android version

Started by jn0101, 03. June 2010, 16:38:48

Previous topic - Next topic

jn0101

I have some desires for the Android version:

- A new release with the updated Esperanto translations (no hurry, though :-)

- In the "download dictionaries" section it'd be great to be able to download more than one dictionary at a time (subsequent clicks should be queued)

- When long pressing the input text field there is a "Choose all", "Cut", "Copy" etc, but the option "Paste" is missing.

- Believe it or not, but I could not change language directions the first few times. I was looking in the menu. Your "turn"-button is fine, but consider also adding a "switch direction" to the menu, for new users to not get stuck.

I might do the changes myself, if you like the ideas.

Yours,
Jacob

axin

Cool, keep the ideas coming  :)

Quote from: jn0101 on 03. June 2010, 16:38:48
- A new release with the updated Esperanto translations (no hurry, though :-)

This and some life-cycle improvements should go online next weekend. I'll post a testing release on the forum soon.

- In the "download dictionaries" section it'd be great to be able to download more than one dictionary at a time (subsequent clicks should be queued)

I very much like the idea, but I'd first add support for installing jar-dictionaries (should be easy) and rework the list of installable dictionaries (sort by date of update, show size)

- When long pressing the input text field there is a "Choose all", "Cut", "Copy" etc, but the option "Paste" is missing.

This context menu is automatically provided by Android. On my G1 running 1.6 I also get the Paste option as soon as there is some text in the clipboard. Could you try again or explain that in detail?

- Believe it or not, but I could not change language directions the first few times. I was looking in the menu. Your "turn"-button is fine, but consider also adding a "switch direction" to the menu, for new users to not get stuck.

It's always amazing to see how people perceive an application's UI. I feel there are already two ways for switching the direction (the button and the drop-down). How about trying to find a more obvious icon for the button? And/or another layout? I'd like to keep the menu as simple as possible and have all translating related controls right on the screen... Do you think those would be enough hints for new users?

I might do the changes myself, if you like the ideas.

Feel free to do that, e.g. the download queuing! It's probably a good idea to have it the same way as with J2ME and first discuss major patches here on the forum...

Achim