Is DictionaryForMIDs working on Android 2.0 ?

Started by Gert, 29. October 2009, 18:44:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Gert

I just read about the release of Android 2.0 and I noted that there are quite a few changes on the Android API. I was wondering whether the old APIs are still supported with Android 2.0.

Well, is the existing DictionaryForMIDs working on Android 2.0 ? Or does there need to be an updated version of DictionaryForMIDs for Android 2.0 ?

Gert

axin

Hi Gert,

good point! I downloaded the new SDK and ran DfM on the emulator - in general everything looks fine. I'll need to do some small changes to support the new screen resolutions and correct some glitches (file sizes are not formatted correctly) but that doesn't seem to be a big task. Then we'll have to wait for someone with an actual Android 2.0 device...

Btw, new stats from the market:
Downloads: 6804
Active: 2096 (30%)
List of dictionaries available for OTA has been downloaded 6200 times.
Number of ratings: 28, average: 4 out of 5 stars

As actual feedback is still very limited and often concerns the quality of the dictionaries, I'm not sure how to improve the experience for DfM users on Android.

Regards,
Achim

Gert

That is good news !

Well, yes, high quality dictionaries are most important, such as the dictionaries that are set up by Jeff.

For me it seems that there is a wave of Android devices approaching the market; so maybe it is just a matter of making good publicity for DictionaryForMIDs on Android. Guess there is no open source (offline) dictionary on Android that is only close to the capabilities of DictionaryForMIDs.

Thank you for your update !
Gert